Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and ‘Sauce Vierge’
1 spaghetti squash
3-4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
Olive oil, as needed
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 sausages (we used Oktoberfest Sausage from Fore Quarter Butcher Shop in Kitchener)
1. Pre-heat oven to 425F.
2. Slice squash in 1½ inch rounds, 6 rounds in total. Remove seeds with a spoon. You may end up with extra squash, go ahead and roast it any way and set aside for another use.
3. Place squash rounds on parchment lined sheet pan. Drizzle generously with olive oil, sprinkle with thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake in oven for 20 minutes
5. In the meantime, prepare your Sausage Meatballs: simply remove sausage from casings and form into balls.
6. Remove pan from oven, flip squash over, and add the sausage meatballs to 6 of the squash rounds.
7. Return to oven and roast a further 20 minutes.
8. Remove and serve with Sauce Vierge (see below)
2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves or quarters
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of ½ lemon
½ bunch of basil, finely sliced
¼ tsp Kosher salt
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Best at room temperature.